Pages

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Appearances & Audition Rooms

Last Tuesday morning, I showed up at an audition for an Equity production of Annie Get Your Gun alongside 300 other people. I was pleased to get "typed in" (i.e. the casting director decided who he'd hear sing simply by looking each of us up and down for five seconds), so my singing audition was scheduled for later in the evening- at 5:00pm, to be exact. I went on my merry way home, pleased that I made it through the first "round"...if you count just standing there as an audition itself. I made myself a ham sandwich and watched an episode of Downton Abbey, forgetting that I was Miss New York for the moment (which is easy to do since this is quite a new concept for me). A quarter into my humble sammy, my phone rang at 3:00pm and a friend-of-a-friend-of-a-friend who knows someone at Fox News asked if I'd like to be on national television at 9:40 that night. I nearly choked.

The Sean Hannity Show was shooting a live segment regarding controversial Super Bowl advertisements, and the booking manager wanted Miss New York's opinion about the so-called sexist and racist commercials. I had yet to make an official appearance as Miss New York, so you can imagine my surprise (and nervousness) when realizing my first appearance would be on national television. If I messed up, only a couple million people would be watching. No biggie. (Hah!)

Scarfing down the rest of my sandwich (I am an embarassingly fast eater, so that was no problem for me), I immediately started brainstorming my talking points and watching the commercials Hannity would be focusing on. Oh, wait! I have to leave for my audition in 15 minutes! I scurried around to find the outfit I'd been wearing that morning (I needed to eat my food and answer emails in sweats, of course) and ran out the door.

No time to be nervous about singing "I Hate Men," I breezed into that audition room and belted my little face off, condensing all of my bad experiences with dating into one 16 bar audition. Boy, that felt good. Afterwards, the director then asked me this: "How does your dad sing?" Screeeeeeeeeech, whaaaat? A normal person would say "Excuse me?" or "Pardon me, I couldnt hear you." No, no. Not this rosebud. "My dad? Oh, he has a great voice." Crickets. "Honey, I don't care how your dad sings. How's your dancing?" Yes, this actually happened. Through laughing, I told him about my dancing abilities, and gathered my music from the pianist. On the way out the door, I looked back and said, "Sorry! I thought you might need some older guys for the show...my dad's pretty great." If this was any sign for how Hannity would go that night, we were in BIG trouble.

Two hours later, a black car arrived to take me to the Fox News building- straight to hair and make up (thank goodness). After bonding with the women who primped and pampered me, I sat in a waiting area with a really nice gentleman who was taking part in the segment right before mine. We chatted about life and- what else- my love life. He gave me a lot of advice about finding "the one" and seemed to take my jokes about dating in New York really well. Well, what do you know, but a few minutes later, Sean Hannity himself plops down next to me and starts talking to this guy about his career as a pilot. I pipe in, "Hey, my dad flew F-14s in the Navy!" Hannity looked at me like, "You didn't know that this guy was a pilot?" Shortly thereafter, I found out why. This man whom I had taken love advice from was, in fact, Scott O'Grady, a pretty famous fighter pilot who was shot down over Bosnia in the '90s. Whoops. I immediately felt honored to be sitting in a room with him.

My segment of the show went off without a hitch. I'm not one to place much prominence on Super Bowl ads, so I just gave my simple two cents about each commercial and tried to stay myself. Side note: Sean Hannity has amazing hair and is a really nice guy in person.

The next morning, I received a phone call about the audition the day before. I got a callback! Maybe my answer about my dad was memorable...? Unfortunately, the callback fell on the same day as my trip upstate to be a guest as Miss NY at the Miss Fulton County Pageant on Saturday. Such a bummer. I reluctantly informed the casting director's assistant that I would not be able to attend, and started preparing for the weekend. I was extremely disappointed since this show would be an amazing opportunity for my career, but backing out of commitments is just not what I do. Surprise! Thursday, the casting director himself emailed me with permission to skip the initial callback and attend the final reading/singing callback for the lead in the show! I love when things work out. Monday at 4:00pm I would read for "Annie" in Annie Get Your Gun.

With Miss NY's Outstanding Teen, Shannon Ryan, at Miss FC
Singing at and helping with the Miss Fulton County pageant on Saturday was really rewarding. The community really supports this organization, with over 400 people in attendance. Taking pictures and signing autographs for the little girls in attendance was by far my favorite part. Knowing I made them feel special reminds me why I decided to accept Miss New York in the first place. Last night, I even opened an email from the Mayor of Gloversville (where the pageant was held) thanking me for my visit. How fun is that?
Pictures at Miss Fulton County!

Yup, wore the same dress. If it ain't broke...
Linda, my Miss New York traveling companion and all around life-saver and personal comedian, dropped me back off at my apartment at 2:30am on Sunday morning, leaving me just enough time to get some shut eye and wake up in time to get to the Miss New York City Pageant taking place at 3:00pm. There, I sang the national anthem and watched many of my friends compete. My pageant-week roommate from last year's Miss New York Pageant walked away as the new Miss New York City! I'm extremely happy for her, as well as for the other two ladies who won the titles of Miss Cosmopolitan (great title, right?) and Miss Metropolitan (my local title last year). The best part of the day, though, was seeing Claire Buffie (Miss NY 2010 and an amazing friend) and Katie Uze (Miss VA 2010 and one of my first and closest friends I've made competing in the Miss America Organization). Oh, the other best part was finally getting to wear the official Miss New York state crown! The timing of its arrival couldn't have been more perfect since Katie got to be the first to "crown" me Miss New York (something Mallory- Miss America- will officially do at her Homecoming party in March). I started out competing in Virginia in 2008, when I met Katie and my whole love for the MAO began. Then I moved to New York, where I've started my adult life and am beyond honored to represent this state. So, to be crowned Miss New York by a former Miss Virginia and dear, dear friend was pretty darn perfect.
With Katie and Claire
The newest ladies who will compete for Miss New York 2013!

I was exhausted by Sunday night, but no rest for the weary! Monday was the final callback for Annie Get Your Gun! My life feels like it's been plucked right out of a T.V. show lately. Case-in-point: I showed up at the audition with about ten other girls. After reading a few sides (scenes from the show), five of us were left to sing. After I sang "You Can't Get a Man With a Gun" for the casting director, he asked if he could give me some advice. Naturally, I welcomed it. He kindly told me some changes he'd make to my performance, basically hinting that he could tell that I'm pretty green to the audition process. Most casting directors would have cut me, but instead he told me that he sees something special in me, which is why he kept me around until the very end (awesome!). Feeling gutsy, I asked, "Well, would you mind if I sing it again for you, this time applying what you just told me?" Amazingly, he said "Sure, I don't see why not." So I sang again. When I finished, he was so enthusiastic that I could hardly believe his words. He told me that he's rarely seen someone accomplish such an improvement in performance from just a few short minutes of direction. He told me that I was "very impressive" and that he loves my "voice, look, and energy." With one last surge of courage, I said "I sure wish I could re-read the sides now." He looked at me, paused, and said, "You know what? Come in tomorrow at 9:15 before I start my day of casting a different show. I'd like to hear you re-read the sides, as well, and can also work with you on them a bit." Really???? This busy casting director believes in me so much that he's willing to hear me again? And coach me through the scene? Obviously, I have no idea if I will land the role, but the fact that I'm on this man's radar is a huge accomplishment! I feel so honored and special that he's taken such an interest in my green talent amongst the hundreds of actresses who sing for him weekly. I can't wait for tomorrow morning (this morning, once this blog has been published)!

Clearly, my life has become just a bit busy these last few days, but I wouldn't have it any other way. My dreams are coming true left and right, which constantly reminds me of my mom. I know in my heart that she has something to do with all of this, and that gives me so much joy. Each exciting new step gives me more faith that she is still with me, which is the biggest gift of them all.

1 comment:

  1. Shannon! How have I not found your blog yet? I am SO happy NYC is treating you so well...we should go shopping for your Miss America dress. I'm thinking Beacon's Closet? ;P But seriously, congratulations! And let's make a coffee/drinks/thrifting date soon?

    ReplyDelete