Pages

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Beach Book Thoughts

I'm finally back home...for a day. Tomorrow I leave for D.C. to visit some Phi Mus and Miss Virginia girls one last time before my departure to the Northeast. I am SO excited to spend time with everybody!

Oliver beach week ended with a bang. After another day of fun in the sun, the whole family went to our favorite karaoke bar, The Jolly Roger, to belt out some tunes and- best part- people watch. Not lying, I danced with a one-legged man in this place last year. The regular characters in The Jolly Roger are an absolute hoot..most are over the age of 60 and are missing at least three teeth. Last night my cousin asked the bartender how he's doing and his response was "I'm dressed in a pirate costume. How do you think I'm doing." Quality, quality people. After "singing" Sweet Caroline and dancing to Play that Funky Music White Boy with my cousins, I decided to sing my go-to angry country song...

Along with getting praised by the karaoke DJ, another one of my accomplishments yesterday was finishing my latest beach book, The Alchemist. I've really been on a reading kick this summer, thanks to my friend Bethany from work, and I love how much books make me think. I've read Life of Pi, The Time Traveler's Wife, A Million Little Pieces, and now The Alchemist in the past two months. With a common theme of living life in the moment, each one has made me reevaluate my priorities and perspectives. If we focus on the past or the future, we lose sight of the beauty in each day...something I truly believe is important to ponder.

In my life, I've decided happiness is a choice, not just something that happens. Through the ups and downs I've had in just 2011 alone, I always try to remind myself that each day- each moment- is a choice to see either the good or the bad in life. Of course there are times when you feel defeated, rejected, or hurt, but instead of dwelling on those things, it is crucial to remember that you have the power to make things better (for the most part). If you lose a relationship, spend more time building friendships. If you hate your job, find a new one. If you miss someone, call them...and if you can't, call someone else. There's always an alternative to being sad. Maybe I'm a bit naive since I have incredible friends and endless support from my family, but I still think everyone can make the decision to do what makes them happy. And if you can't figure out what makes you happy- ask your friends. Mine have shoved me in the right direction many a time :)

All in all, these books have reminded me that life is full of moments, and all we can do is make the most of the one we're in right now. Thus, I am taking full advantage of the joys I have in Virginia- my friends, my family, and my cheap living (hah)- while living here these next two weeks. But, in pursuit of my dream, I know that contentment lies in the unfamiliar territory of New York. As difficult as moments may be in a large city with no money and many musical rejections, I know that I have to see each day as a step towards something greater. I am beginning an adventure I should be happy and grateful to have the opportunity to be a part of.

"When I have been truly searching for my treasure, every day has been luminous, because I've known that every hour was part of the dream that I would find it. When I have truly been searching for my treasure, I've discovered things along the way that I never would have seen had I not the courage to try things that seemed impossible to for a shephard to achieve." -The Alchemist, Part II.

I am moving to New York in pursuit of my Personal Legend (read The Alchemist..you'll get it) and my treaure. The decision has been made...

"Making a decision was only the beginning of things. When someone makes a decision, he is really diving into a strong current that will carry him to place he had never dreamed of when he first made the decision." -The Alchemist, Part II.

I can't wait to find out where this decision will lead. I am confident that, no matter what, I will be carried to places I never dreamed...and that's something to be happy about :)


No comments:

Post a Comment