Pages

Monday, August 1, 2011

D.C. Weekend

The visit to D.C. was a success! I am so grateful to have such amazing girlfriends who I can trust and have a blast with, no matter where we are or how long we've been apart. Three of the best decisions I've ever made involve becoming a part of three organizations that gave me unbeatable friendships: Phi Mu Fraternity, The Newport Pearls a cappella ensemble, and the Miss Virginia Organization. The quality of friendships is far more important than the quantity, of course, but I am extraordinarily lucky in that I have so, so many very close friendships that developed by spending a lot of meaningful time with each of these groups. This weekend, I spent time with Phi Mus and Miss Virginia ladies. A couple weeks ago, I had a get-away wedding weekend with all of my Pearlfriends (clever name, right?). Each set of girls makes me feel completely comfortable being my goofy, talkative self and love me unconditionally...just like I love them! In addition to Phi Mus, Pearls, and Miss VA girls, I have my long time bests who I grew up with, my girls from Busch Gardens, and my soon-to-be sister in law...I can't believe how fortunate I am to have all of these women who I can (and have) call at any time of day and who know me inside and out. People say you can't have more than a couple true friends, but that's just not true :)

Now that I've explained how much I love my friends, let me walk you through the weekend. I will start by saying this: Do not EVER drive in D.C. I've done it twice. First time, I got lost AND pulled over by a cop because I was talking on my phone trying to figure out how to get UN-lost (note to self, talking on phone in D.C. is illegal..but have no fear, I charmed my way out of that ticket). Round two- this weekend- resulted in an hour of stress as I tried to avoid 6,000 cars on scary one way roads and round abouts that were all honking at me because I couldn't find a parking spot. Want to know why? Because there ARE NONE. Nope. You can't park anywhere in D.C. for more than 2 hours. I mean, what can you even accomplish in 2 hours? Get Starbucks and take a picture on giant Abe Lincoln's lap? Both very wonderful and necessary activities when you're in D.C., but not what I had on tap for this particular visit. Minus the Starbucks. Still had my iced soy chai every day.

After Stephanie (Miss VA girl from Virginia Beach!) and I finally made the decision to just park at Claire and Lindsey's (Phi Mus!) apartment in Arlington, we took the metro back to Kourtney's (Miss VA girl!) place in D.C. That night, we went out in Georgetown with Kourtney's "older" new boy toy (he's 26. I firmly believe the perfect male age range is 27-30, so maybe I like old men in the eyes of most girls my age...not worried about it). We had tons fun with lots of interesting characters. A middle-aged Mexican man and his girlfriend bought Stephanie and I tequila because we "reminded him of his daughter," a boy named "Deke" decided he didn't support pageant platforms (psshh), and a girl made Stephanie give her her drink because, unbenownst to Steph, the girl's boyfriend had bought it for her. And the girl actually DRANK the rest of it. Two things I'd like to say to that young lady: A) Please, please get out of that relationship. He bought another girl a drink while you're in the same room. Bad sign. B) There are a LOT of germs out there. Don't drink out of a stranger's glass. [Picture above: myself, Kourtney, and Stephanie before heading out!]

The next day (after Claire walked a mile home and Stephanie had used four band aides to cover her rug burn), Stephanie, Claire, Lindsey, and myself ate breakfast...wait, no, dinner..when we woke up. I have not slept in until 2pm since, well, maybe ever. We were sitting at a little diner eating our greasy food, which we believed to be brunch, when someone looked at her phone and said "um, you guys, it's 4:30pm." The world paused for a second, we each individually decided that there was no way that statement was true, and we went on with the rest of our meal. A few hours later, we were watching Sex and the City the movie (Hey! I've seen this episode!) and I looked at the clock..."in other news, ladies, it is 7pm." We almost died of laughter- this could not be real! It felt like 12 noon. The sun was still bright, only two of us had yet to shower (I actually never did that day...whatever), and we couldn't fathom getting ready for another night out on the town. But of course we did. My awesome Phi Mu little sister, Sarah, and another lovely sister, Chelsea (more commonly known as Chiz), joined us on our Saturday night adventure. This time we ended up in Dupont Circle. Let me sum it up quickly: we befriended the bouncers, two boys we met spent $300 on a table for the eight of us, Claire and Chiz poured ice in one of their pants, Lindsey stole the camera from the club photographer, and a boy who is deaf in one ear pulled a move on me. For the record, I'm not judging for the deaf ear. My first boyfriend was deaf in one ear. But is it really that common? How do they find me? Maybe I'm supposed to be with someone who can just turn over if he gets tired of hearing me talk. Who knows. [Picture above: my little and me (I've been told I have a nice smile) , Picture below: all of us with the bouncers]


Sunday was much more productive. Steph and I said so long to Claire, Linds, Sarah, and Chiz to go meet Kourtney and Molly (another Miss VA girl!) for lunch/paint your own pottery. Painting the pottery was SO much fun. Except for Stephanie, who gets really stressed when doing any sort of arts and crafts. I personally think that's a strange quality for a girl who's an elementary school teacher, but she almost broke out in hives when she was tracing the conch shell onto her coffee mug. My canvas of choice was a toothbrush holder, on which I painted the four of us in different Miss Virginia outfits. Watch out, Van Gogh. To top off the afternoon, we went house hunting. Makes sense..? Take a look at Molls and me in the very nice shower.

On my way home from D.C., I had the pleasure of speaking with one of my future NY roommates! Best part: he has an Australian accent. This decision to move just keeps getting better. I'm all set to move in a week from Wednesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment