Pages

Sunday, July 21, 2013

Miss New York Farewell Letter

Contestants and myself painted a home demolished by Sandy
The following is my official farewell letter that was published in the Miss New York program book last weekend (along with pictures from throughout the week!):

Miss New York is a prestigious title. New York is home to the world's most renowned city, Beyonce (at least half the year), and- most importantly- the original Buffalo sauce. The representative of this extraordinary state is expected to uphold the reputation of independence, cultured intelligence, and fast-talking wittiness, all while rocking six inch heels and an outfit that screams "Fashion Capital of the World." You might imagine the intimidation factor in accepting this role, particularly in the glorious wake of Mallory Hagan's crowning at Miss America rather than in the spotlight of a gorgeous theatre full of adoring pageant fans. No, I was not in a gown or wearing fake eyelashes when I became Miss New York. I was in the bathroom of a restaurant where my friend's dad's 50th birthday party was being held, going over the responsibilities in store for me with Director of Operations, Paul Brown, on the phone. "I'll do it," I said.
That's one of the most brilliant things that has ever come out of my mouth.

I often joke with my friends that I'm the default Miss New York, but as I reflect on the last six months, I know the invalidity of that statement. I have given this title the best of me. I may not have changed legislation regarding my platform or sung my talent on the Miss America stage, but I've changed the minds of pageant critics and sung the National Anthem in Central Park for the New York City Half Marathon (and at about six million other events). I've spoken to over 4,000 students about multiculturalism and the importance of treating everyone, differences small or great, with kindness. I've "crowned" countless children and adults with the Miss New York garb, providing confidence and laughs. I've performed alongside Broadway veterans and posed for photographers with Mayor Bloomberg. I've petted pigs, held babies (it's amazing how moms pass over their 8-week-olds as long as you have a crown on your head), had snack time with 3rd graders, and was a pizza party guest of honor for a middle school Student Council. I've made a champagne toast
to a room full of people who don't speak English, learning the crucial life skill that interpreters cannot remember entire paragraphs at a time. They will say something completely different from what you said that makes the audience laugh, when what you actually said was absolutely not funny at all. I've developed relationships with the incredible Miss New York sponsors, friendships with fellow state titleholders, and a newfound belief in myself that I am capable of anything. Heck, my very first appearance as Miss New York was on national television in front of millions of people on The Sean Hannity Show. Bring it on, real world.

As much as I gave my heart since becoming Miss New York, I received back every ounce of love and effort I poured out. Much of that return was from the kids' smiles, thank yous from school administrators and event coordinators, and experiences I will carry with me the rest of my life, but feeling the incredible support from individuals who made my reign a success was equally rewarding. Thank you Paul, Kenny, Faith, Diane, Ken, Cathy, Stuart, and Terry for your leadership as the Miss New York Board of Directors. Thank you Mallory and Claire B. for your priceless advice and friendships as former Miss New Yorks. Thank you Deana for being not only an unbelievable communicator and advocate for the MNYO and me personally as Business Manager, but also for being my confidant and biggest source of general support I've had as Miss New York. Thank you Christina T. for your mentorship and Linda for driving me all over the state and being dedicated to this organization in a way that is unmatched . Thank you Katie, Nina, Maria, Desiree, and Acacia. You are all Miss New Yorks to me. Thank you Elizabeth and Tommy for chaperoning me at events and Claire M. and Lindsey for being key players in my accepting this title. Saving the best for last, thank you to my heart and soul, that is my family. Dad, Jean, Jim, Lindsay, Drew, and Sherwin, you all have been to way too many pageants/pageant functions. I will never be able to repay you. Thank you for loving me, crown or no crown, and for teaching me the meaning of selflessness, true happiness, and unconditional support. I love you all.

And thank you, Mom. I know you went to Heaven 10 months ago and pulled some strings to make this dream of mine come true. You've been my number one fan from the day I was born, never missing one single pageant and holding an unwavering balance of loving support while never adding pressure as a stage mom. I would not be here without you. I'm glad you got to see every moment of these last six months from the best seat in the house, overlooking it all.

May everyone remember that winning is not in the crown, and cheers to the new Miss New York 2013!

<3 Shannon Oliver
Miss New York 2012

Miss New York 2013- Nina Davuluri!

No comments:

Post a Comment