Pages

Thursday, July 26, 2012

642, #2: College Essay

I've had quite the 5 day weekend. But as much fun as I had dancing with the Latino kitchen staff from my restaurant at a fellow server's band gig on Friday (I couldn't look them in the eye today at work), eating real ramen for the first time on Saturday, and taking a last minute 3 a.m. bus to Williamsburg, VA for the Busch Gardens reunion Sunday morning, I'm going to spare you the details and instead randomly choose another topic from 642 Things to Write About.

#2: Rewrite your college application essay from today's point of view, answering the last question: "Is there anything else we should know?"

You should know the things I will give to CNU, and the things I will take from CNU. Let's start with the former.

I will give CNU a brand new diversity organization called S.A.I.L., which will allow your students to become trained diversity educators and travel to elementary, middle, and high schools around Newport News, teaching kids about breaking stereotypes. S.A.I.L. will be a lasting organization, continuing to thrive and affect the community even after I graduate. I will be a leader not only through my founding of S.A.I.L., but as a Resident Assistant for two years. Although I'll want to hit my hall of freshmen upside their heads with my sorority paddle, many will still have a close relationship with me for years to follow. Speaking of my sorority paddle, I will join Phi Mu Fraternity and be one of many advocates on campus for Greek Life. My sisters and I may be the reason that Einstein's always has a long line, but I'm not sorry for it. I will also give to CNU's music community by becoming musical director of The Newport Pearls a cappella group. We will sing at random times in the student union, causing traffic jams and nervous looks from visitors. Again, not sorry. Last, I will give to CNU academically. I won't present at Paidea or represent the university in any sort of academic competition, but I'll almost always go to class and get my assignments in on time. I won't major or minor in Religious Studies, but my Buddhism professor, Dr. Thompson, will still invite me to his house for dinner with his five other favorite graduating seniors at the end of my CNU career. Teachers like me.

This is what I will take from CNU: I'll take the visitor's parking spot often, and never get a ticket. I'll take a secret midnight climb to the top of the P. Trib Library when it was under construction, priding myself on being one of only a few students to ever set foot in the highest dome. I will take advantage of having the easiest senior year possible by working at Busch Gardens full time and only taking classes on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I'll take a LOT of bananas from Regattas. I'll take dozens of girlfriends from Phi Mu and The Pearls. I'll take away the knowledge that CNU only admits good-looking girls, but about 4 good-looking guys per class. I will take a degree that I may never use in life, as much as I love your Psychology department. I'll take lessons of time management, pride, humility, forgiveness, and patience...and those things I will use in life.

This is what you should know about me, should you accept me to your university. Notice that what I'll give is far more than what I'll take...you won't miss those bananas from Regattas, and I'm sure visitors found other parking spots just fine. The substantial things I take from CNU will be lessons that make me a woman whom you should be proud to have represent your university as an alumni. 

________________

Here are some pictures from the Busch Gardens reunion!
A full quartet of the Italy '09 Singers (originally an octet) made it to the reunion!
One of my best guy friends, and drummer at Busch Gardens, Smithers!
Myself, Michael (Italy '09), Jake (Italy '09), and Sam (Jake's wife/BG dancer for 5 or 6 years)

No comments:

Post a Comment