Pages

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Spectacularity

Modern travel always amazes me. At 10:30 a.m., I'm riding the bus through New York City, sitting next to a 27-year-old sign language minister (I eavesdropped for that information, oddly enough) and across from a coke addict (and I'm not talking about the carbonated beverage), on my way to LaGuardia airport. Eleven hours later, though the time difference tries to shock my body into believing it's only been eight hours, I'm in Los Angeles, CA, cruising down Santa Monica Boulevard in a rented Mustang convertible. Wait, what?!

Think about the space between New York City and Los Angeles. The amount of people's lives that are being lived, the changes in climate, and the miles of different landscapes. Three THOUSAND miles. Yet, in a few short hours, I'm casually wearing the same clothes and carrying the same bag as I was when I was on the other side of the country. Maybe I let myself get too overwhelmed and amazed by ideas that I shouldn't...like the time I was telling someone that I think that the idea of having a baby is unfathomably miraculous. So, maybe a lot of people think that having a baby is unfathomably miraculous, but the point is that I was telling whoever it was that I never want to say "I want a family" just to have a nice little nuclear family. No, to me, wanting a child is motivated by the desire create a being- a live little human- who is a perfect mix of me and my husband (clearly I won't be having children any time soon with that husband clause in there). Rather than being "the next step," my future-kid will be a personalized gift to the world that represents a bond with someone who changes my life with love. Crap. I sound like a crazed-romantic. STILL. I don't think you should have babies just to have babies. They should be a representative of a love between two people. After explaining all of that to this person and excitedly finishing my thoughts with, "Isn't that just unreal that we have that opportunity to create such a lasting memory of our love with someone??", he/she/can't remember said, "Shannon, it's called reproduction." Debby downer.

Back from that tangent...I don't think we stop to soak in the wonder of the world often enough. Be it man-made, like the ability to state-hop as though we're just walking to the other side of the park, or nature/God-made, like creating new humans, life is CRAZY. Why do we get caught up in our steak not being cooked perfectly or whether or not we win a beauty pageant? The splendor of the world is way more fun to get caught up in. Having fun with all of the other little humans that were created out of love (or something...), giving way to new thoughts and ideas inspired by majestic scenery, humbling ourselves to remember how small we are as we fly over 3,000 miles of land that is full of millions of people who value their lives as much as you value your own, and not letting our minds become immune and idle to the intricate and enrapturing world around us. That is how we should aim to occupy our time and brain-power.

Think about something extraordinary, yet you often pass as ordinary, in your life. A connection with someone unexpected. A car ride where no matter how many red lights you hit, it's still faster than a horse and buggy. A star that seems out of place. A building that is 50 stories high and doesn't fall over. A song that gives you goosebumps...what are goosebumps anyway? How can emotion manifest itself on skin?

Don't get me wrong, I still like my steak cooked medium rare, but there are much greater, more spectacular, and more challenging things to think or care about. Life is pretty cool. Take an active part in enjoying it, pondering it, indulging in it, and appreciating it.

No comments:

Post a Comment