Pages

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Day 84

One of us was bound to get sick from that winter weather promotion. Guess who it was? You bet.

The only time I should ever be that cold: Dog sledding
I woke up Sunday morning with a little sore throat, a lot of body aches, and the overall feeling that my immune system was less than pleased with my decision to stand in 33 degree rain for three hours the day before. As much as I didn't want to, I forced myself to bundle back up for the third and final day of the Street King promotion. Luckily, the final day took place a 15 minute walk from my apartment, so I didn't have to get up as early. The downside was that it was still freezing outside. Buried in a camisole, turtleneck, fleece vest, scarf, down jacket, large t-shirt (provided by Street King, worn over all that), and unzipped fleece jacket (open to reveal the t-shirt logo), I felt warm and prepared leaving my building. No matter how bundled you are, however, standing still in the biting cold for hours on end will make anyone turn into a Popsicle. My sore throat started out as a subtle pang each time I swallowed, but an hour in the cold kicked any subtlety right out the door. Switchblades took the place of saliva, stalactites replaced my fingers, and no amount of desire to make money or embarrassment in leaving could make me stay. Two hours was enough. The team manager knew I was sick from the second I arrived because I was incapable of talking louder than a breathy southern bell in a tea room, so he was extremely understanding when I asked to be dismissed early. Considering there were more of us at the table than people actually attending the street fair, it's safe to say I was not missed.

Before I could wrap myself in my faded old comforter and zebra slippers, I had to go into Manhattan to finally meet with the manager of Stardust. Of course I would have rather gone straight home, but I've been trying to get an audition at this place for weeks, so jumping on the opportunity was crucial. I felt slightly guilty leaving the promo and heading elsewhere, but I reminded myself that I had planned on going to Stardust afterwards, anyway, and that there was a big difference between quietly sitting in a warm train/restaurant and yelling at passerby's in arctic conditions. Besides, if I'd stayed outside, my health would have been compromised and there's no way I would've been able to attend my new promo the following night. It's a give and take world.

Sitting in Stardust while waiting for the manager was really encouraging- finally a place where I felt I belonged! All of the servers were incredibly talented and seemed fun and welcoming, like most other entertainers I've worked with. They all smiled at me as I awkwardly waited at the bar by myself, cracking jokes with each other as they walked by. Even the "table talk" was fun to eavesdrop in on. "Table 51 just got engaged!" or "Campers at table 30." This is where I need to be...if not on Broadway or a cruise ship. A place where my coworkers have the same passions, humor, and drive as myself. A place that puts emphasis on an upbeat atmosphere and memorable experience. A place that will remind me why I'm in New York whenever I'm there. You better believe I put on my biggest smile when the manager sat down next to me. He instructed me to prepare a 50's or 60's upbeat song and a pre-70's Broadway show tune, then email him when I'm ready to audition. Since they already hired enough servers for the season, he'll put my file on hold (if I pass the audition...) and call me if a space opens. I was thrilled for this opportunity because most people who miss the group auditions at the beginning of a season have to wait until the next open call to be seen. All I can pray is that a current server lands a tour and they need a last minute replacement! Oh, and that I pass the audition. No pressure.

I spent the rest of the day drinking tea, eating chicken noodle soup, and hoping that my sore throat would magically disappear. Drink those fluids! I stayed in bed/couch the entire evening and next day leading up to my 9:30p.m.-4:00a.m. promotion on Halloween night. I was hired as a Brand Ambassador for Four Loko at the big NYC Halloween Parade after party in Soho. For the record, Four Loko is legal again because they took all caffeine out of the ingredients. Alcoholic energy drinks are a no no. Because of all my rest and fluids, my sore throat did not worsen and I made it through the event. The promo girls were required to wear 80's attire, so Elle (my roommate) lent me her pink legwarmers, which I paired with heels, leggings, a mini skirt, and the purple Four Loko shirt. I even crimped my hair. Handing out free samples to drunk people wasn't exactly the time of my life, but the event went by fast since I was pretty busy...which makes sense since I got ditched by the guy who was assigned to help me at my table. I was pouring drinks, marking wristbands, and trying to keep people from falling on me all at the same time. Good thing I went to college. Actually, the girls I've worked events with almost all have their degrees and are extremely intelligent young ladies, so maybe it really is a good thing I went to college to land these promos. Any job is competitive these days.

The metro card guy looked something like this
When I waited for my train at Union Square after the event, zombies, scantily clad princesses, and a man in an intricate metro-card costume were sprawled out on the platform. It was quite a sight. I'm pretty sure I've never seen so many people sitting on the ground while waiting for the train. Most of the time, no one wants to set their precious behinds on that that nasty cement, but I guess Halloween is the exception. Halloween seems to be the exception for a lot of things. Like clothes, for instance.

My sore throat is still hovering, but tomorrow I'm working for the attorney again. I'm actually looking forward to some mindless faxing, copying, and filing. I'll be glad to be out of the house without having to expend too much energy that might provoke my sore throat to turn into something worse. Day 84 in New York! I've lasted 12 days longer than Kim Kardashian's marriage.

No comments:

Post a Comment