Pages

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Marathon Weekend

The elite men running past us at mile 7
Women are so emotional. We can't really help it. Lindsay and I both got teary-eyed when watching the ING New York City Marathon on Sunday. Getting teary-eyed watching a marathon may sound ridiculous, but the runners and the atmosphere were so inspiring that we couldn't help but be touched. I woke up at 7:30 to get to Park Slope, Brooklyn by 9 a.m., where I met Jim, Lindsay, and Macfie (a.k.a. Laura, Lindsay's friend) at the 7 mile mark of the race. We were early enough to see the handicapped participants come by, moving forward with only the strength of their arms rotating racing bikes, or I guess technically tricycles. Many of them had one or no legs, many were elderly, and all of them were absolutely inspirational. Knowing that they wouldn't let their disabilities hinder their drive to live and challenge themselves humbled me. I have found as much joy in few things as cheering for each of them as they wheeled past. Many of them had their names on their shirts, so seeing their smiles after I'd yell "Go, John! You're doing great!" became addicting. Providing that boost of energy and support felt better than opening any present on Christmas. Volunteering, service, and general encouragement create the most outstanding double sided situations. The receivers get the assistance they need, while the "givers" are rewarded with happiness, too!

The runners were just as amazing as the handicapped wave, pushing their bodies to miraculous extents. My mom ran a marathon (maybe more than one...I don't remember) when she was my age, so I couldn't help but think of her while watching. She told me she started running as a mental outlet- probably why she says that anyone who feels depressed and/or scatterbrained should just go for a run rather than take medicine- and has continued to run nearly every single day of her life. She, along with many others, have told me that the satisfaction in finishing a marathon is unmatched by almost any other accomplishment. I loved being a part of that journey for the NYC runners, helping them to move forward towards that exciting goal when they were losing steam (particularly when they were at mile 17 on the Upper East Side).

Like I just mentioned, we took the train to the Upper East Side around 1 p.m., after a yummy Sunday brunch. There we met Jacob, Justin, and Mike for afternoon football (after more marathon cheering, of course). Those guys are a riot, so the afternoon was pretty entertaining. Later that evening, I went back down the island to Chelsea for a drink with Conor. We went to a great underground bar that Mike recommended and then returned to this funny airplane-themed place we found last Thursday. I was so tired from all the late nights, early mornings, and lively activities this weekend that I literally started falling asleep while we were out...a good sign to go home. I slept like a baby that night.

Yesterday, I worked for the attorney again and did another Attack! promotion. Also, I'm planning on having my Stardust audition later this week, so perhaps I'll have steady income by the end of the year...not soon enough! Oh well, things are starting to look up- and my dad, Jean, and Drew are visiting this weekend! Now that is definitely something to look forward to.

No comments:

Post a Comment