Pages

Monday, November 28, 2011

I'm Grateful For...

I figured I should make a post about giving thanks, even if I'm a few days late. Better late than never.

When you have more than you deserve, it's easy to fall into the trap of never having enough. The more in life that is fantastic, the easier it is to zone in on the things that aren't so perfect. Being the minority, they stick out. I, for one, have an abnormal amount to be grateful for, so the few areas of my life that aren't ideal threaten to poison my contentment. Although I constantly remind myself of my blessings, wishful thinking still creeps in. I want the perfect job, the most convenient living arrangement, a relationship, a natural tan, and a magical gnome that cleans my room while I sleep. Who doesn't?

Thanksgiving is a wonderful reminder to every American to take a moment once a year to remember what we do have, instead of harping on what we don't...which, let's face it, fuels our culture the other 364 days of the year. My list will be undoubtedly incomplete, as I can't possibly name all of the things for which I'm grateful. Still, I want to write down a few things on paper- erm, screen- that can provide encouragement when I need a reminder of how lucky I am. I also hope that some of the things I talk about can spark within anyone reading this a memory of similar people/experiences to be grateful for in their own lives.

-My support system of family and friends
           Cliche, I know. But how could I not mention the people who love me unconditionally, cheer me on when I succeed, and hold me up when I falter? Not everyone is as close to their family as I am. Not everyone has as many loyal friends as I do. Not everyone can know they are loved no matter how much they mess up. I have done absolutely nothing to deserve the people in my life, yet somehow, I have ended up with not one, but two sets of unbelievably giving, dedicated, and upstanding parents. With an older brother who is my biggest fan and is marrying a woman who treats me like a real sister. With a little brother who loves me whole-heartedly. With a weird amount of friends that I can call at any time of day or night. With so many people to love and be loved by that I can't ever be caught up on my "phone date" list. Why have I been given so much in this department? Certainly, I can't take the credit. All I can do is be profoundly thankful for the abundance of deep and lasting relationships in my life.
Mom, Dad, Jean, Sherwin, Jim, Lindsay, Brittany, Emily, Tess, Jess, Sarah, Meg, Kaitlin, Claire B., Maggie, Claire M., Lindsey, Katie U., Stephanie, Amanda Miller, Elizabeth, Smithers, Jacob, Wes, Elle, Jen L., Krystal, Kira, Anita, Lena, Nicole, Danielle, Katie A., Renee, Natty, Christina D., Leslie, Joanna, Geraldine, Tyler, Cami, Lauren, Ashley, Amanda McLaughlin, Kristina, Laura P., Andrea, Rayna, Kelly, all of my Phi Mu sisters, Miss VA sisters, Busch Gardens friends, high school friends, friends of friends, and countless other people I can always count on.
-My education
        I graduated debt-free from a great university. Never did I question if I could get into or afford college.
-My talent
        I'm most certainly not the most talented girl in the world, but I'm so grateful that I've been given an artistic outlet through my voice that brings me so much joy to use. It's also brought me to many of my closest friends.
-My location
        I was born in the U.S. That's awesome. I live in the most inspirational city in the world. That's awesome.
-My past
        I've wrestled with my past a lot, but have come to be extremely grateful for the environment in which I grew up. Until the age of 18, I was in a very strict church with a lot of rules and restrictions, but without that, I may not have the morals and core beliefs that I do today.
-My health
        I'm physically and mentally stable, which allows me the freedom to live every day free of pain.
-My cellphone, computer, and technology as a whole
-Mexican food
-Concealer
-Chapstick
-Contacts

I'll go ahead and stop before the list gets too out of control, but there you have it. Happy Thanksgiving! And may we all remember that we don't have to wait for the last Thursday of every November to ponder the wonderful things in our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment