Pages

Friday, January 6, 2012

Bananas

My life is bananas. No, literally. Observe:


















I forced myself out of bed at 5:50 this morning to trudge in the 27 degree weather towards Bryant Park for a Jamba Juice promotion. Upon arrival, myself and sixty-some-odd other people (where did they come from?) threw on banana suits and marched through the city in one large, hilarious banana parade. We stopped and did a choreographed dance at key locations, including Rockefeller Center and the NASDAQ building in Times Square. We even made a cameo in the background of The Today Show! Al Roker didn't see us since we were behind him, but the camera crew definitely cracked a few smiles. I guess 70 marching bananas isn't something you see everyday. By the way, do you recognize the girl in the picture with me? She's my fellow elf-handler from the TMobile event I wrote about last month. If we ever grab a drink together, I'm not sure how we'll explain our connection to people. It'll either be, "Oh, um, we ran around New York with an elf last Christmas" or "We danced in a flash mob as human bananas." You know, your every day activities.

Yesterday was just as exciting, though no banana parade included. One of my closest friends from college, who was also my little in Phi Mu, visited NYC for the day with her boyfriend. After spending a few hours in the attorney's office, I met them on Wall Street for lunch and a full day of exploration. George, Sarah's boyfriend, drooled as only finance majors would during our stroll through the financial district. He couldn't believe that I was more interested in the men in suits than the location of the stock exchange. Not ashamed. We spent the rest of the afternoon seeing the tree at Rockefeller Plaza, window shopping on Fifth Avenue, taking a cliche- yet really fun- horse and buggy ride through Central Park, and eating dinner at Ellen's Stardust Diner (where I'd love to work with the singing waitresses). I knew I had an early morning of banana dancing to prepare for, however, so I left them at a bar on Restaurant Row around 9p.m.

The rest of my weekend will most likely be uneventful since all I have planned is a movie night with Meg tomorrow and a couch date with Lindsay on Sunday. I'm participating in "No Drink Jan," my own made up challenge to kickstart a healthy new year, so I'll be even more of a grandma than usual these upcoming weeks. I'm going to miss those relaxing glasses of wine and cocktails with my girlfriends, but if I'm going to get my butt in shape by Miss New York locals, I've got to buckle down! So long, Chardonnay.

1 comment: