Pages

Monday, January 2, 2012

The Other Half

So this is how the other half lives.

I've spent 2 1/2 days in my temporary neighborhood in the Upper West Side, now understanding why people say "don't move to New York until you have money to live there." If I could live in this neighborhood, I think I'd be obsessed with NYC. I'd also have to be a partner for a major tax firm or a trust fund baby. Each street is lined with the most beautiful three story apartments, their gated walk ups leading to large windows revealing glimpses of Christmas trees and hardwood floors. In the high rise building community I am staying in, doormen in movie costumes ask me if I need a car every time I leave and to announce myself every time I enter (though I think they're finally beginning to recognize me). Little dogs, skinny people in expensive gym clothes, and children on Razor scooters sweep by me on every corner. Sometimes I wonder if they're secretly thinking, "I know you don't actually live here." And then I remember that the world doesn't revolve around me.

We had a little fun with the "Bieber Me" iPhone app
Like the rest of the class acts in my building (I'm going to call it "mine" to avoid feeling like a wandering nomad with no home), I put on my shiny dress and heels for New Year's Eve. Unlike the rest of the class acts in my building, I then walked six blocks and two avenues in my shiny dress and heels to catch the subway instead of a taxi. Although I was tempted to stay in by myself to celebrate 2012 with a good book, I decided that my first New Years in New York City should be spent around new friends and champagne. By no means was I willing to spend $150 on tickets to a bar, but my friends convinced me to join them at a small house party. Nine of us rang in the new year with blow horns and pink champagne bottles, giving each other pecks on the cheek at midnight. Despite the party hats and Ryan Seacrest's enthusiasm, I could only fight my urge to be at home (or whatever) for so long, so I started the 45 minute trek back up to the Upper West Side at 12:45. Anyone would be tired after two days of moving by themselves after a week of being in another state, even on New Year's Eve. I do want to mention that I was not forced to move everything by myself- Jim and Lindsay tried to come help, but I gave them bad directions.

Since I haven't seen Jim and Lindsay since our road trip back from Virginia, I'm heading to their apartment at 8p.m. tonight to watch the premier of The Bachelor. A friend of mine from Miss Virginia 2010, Erika Uhlig, is one of the contestants! I hope she wins Ben's heart!

No comments:

Post a Comment