Pages

Saturday, December 31, 2011

My 2011

The last five hours of 2011 have begun, leaving us all reflecting on the past year and wondering what the new year will bring. Most of us have probably exclaimed, "I can't believe it's already been a year!" in the past 24 hours as we remember exactly what we were doing last New Years Eve. I, for one, had just met a new guy while singing karaoke with friends on Christmas night, and distinctly remember him telling me not to kiss anyone else when the clock struck midnight. Considering I spent the evening with a bunch of my girlfriends from Cheeseburger in Paradise, his wish came true. He didn't even have that honor til almost a month later.

Outward Bound (Ricky's in red; I'm next to him)
Christmas karaoke man and I dated for a few months, even though I got in a Facebook relationship with someone else during the first few weeks of the year. Ricky and I have publicly been in an "open relationship" on Facebook for almost a year now, our "anniversary" being January 12th- the day we returned from our crazy Outward Bound dog sledding trip in Ely, Minnesota. I still smile every time I see his name next to the heart on my Facebook page, knowing we don't even have each other's phone numbers (but I love him!). By St. Patricks Day, the thrill of my rendition of Mariah Carey's "All I Want for Christmas is You" had worn off, so my real-life Christmas karaoke sweetheart and I parted ways.

One month later, I was sitting in front of a new date at Mahi Mahs Restaurant, overlooking the boardwalk and Atlantic Ocean. He was not happy in Virginia Beach, dreaming of the day he would move to San Diego. I said to him something along these lines: "Think about where you were a year ago. You probably only remember a couple specific days...the rest is a blur. In one year from now, you'll be in San Diego and hardly remember these bad days at work or the cold weather you hate so much. And in a year from now, I'll be sitting in front of someone new, remembering you as that guy I went out with a few times in the spring of 2011." I was so right (even though I said that in jest). We went out more than a few times, but only stayed together until the 4th of July. Holidays in 2011 were not good to me, starting with St. Patrick's Day. Keep reading for confirmation.

One month after the July 4th break up, I moved to New York City- land of dreams, no exes, and delicious cuisine. As you could probably tell by posts in November, I started seeing an Irish guy here in The City. Thanksgiving was the last time I saw him. Should've seen that one coming... 

Though I can create a ridiculous 2011 timeline based on holiday break ups, I can also map it out by extraordinary experiences. Like I mentioned above, my year started with a seven day winter camping/dog sledding excursion. I was in below zero conditions for 144 hours straight with twelve strangers, wrestling with my intentions for the rest of the year. Should I stay in Virginia or move to NYC? While shivering "inside" a little tarp-tent-thing that I had tied to two trees, using the trunk of a tree I sawed down by hand as a weight to hold the tarp to the ground (no, seriously), I decided to give Miss Virginia one final go.

Two weeks later, I won Miss Greater Hampton Roads, and returned to Miss Virginia in June. I've talked about that incredible week in Roanoke plenty on this blog, so I won't beat a dead horse, but that was obviously a huge highlight of 2011. I gained 29 new friends, was honored with the Quality of Life award, placed 3rd runner up, and cheered on a close friend of mine as she had the Miss Virginia sash placed across her shoulder.

The rest of the summer was a blur of unbelievably fun trips, including auditioning for American Idol in Pittsburgh, flying to New York City for a Broadway audition, and attending the funnest wedding I've ever been to with my college a cappella sisters in Fredericksburg. Wedged in there was Jim and Lindsay's engagement, Oliver Beach Week, and a Phi Mu/Miss Virginia reunion weekend in D.C.

As we know, I moved to New York in August, finally deciding to chase my dream to sing for a living. These past 4 1/2 months have been quite the ride. I've made amazing new friends, rekindled relationships with old friends, had four different jobs, and moved into three different apartments. I've laughed, cried, almost given up, and pushed through. I've learned about a strength within me that I didn't know existed. Pretty much nothing has gone right since I moved here, but I will not stop trying until I know I've given 100%.

My 2011 has not been easy, but it's been eye-opening and rewarding. It has challenged me at every turn- physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually. I had some really beautiful moments laughing with friends, dating great guys, spending time with family, performing in shows with outstanding and supportive casts/crews, and getting to know myself better. I've been shown unconditional love by unexpected people, taught lessons by unknowing teachers, and had homes and hearts opened to me by near strangers. I've been at my best, been at my worst, and can sit here happy to be me. Maybe a part of me wants 2012 to bring more successes than 2011 offered, but then again, maybe I couldn't ask for more success than sitting on a couch that doesn't belong to me, my suitcase across the room next to the futon I'll be sleeping on to bring in the new year, typing that I'm happy to be me. Cheers to 2012 <3

No comments:

Post a Comment