Pages

Saturday, September 3, 2011

NYC Nights

Standing on a massive roof in Brooklyn with a bunch of twenty-somethings all trying to make it in the Big City, the entire Mannhattan skyline- from head to hoof- stretched out in the near distance, I think it finally sank in. I am here and not leaving any time soon.

Thursday night on the roof
Maybe I'll get used to it, maybe I won't, but the vast span of skyscrapers with historic bridges and symbols of the American Dream is a moving display of grandeur. Thursday night, with the cool end of summer breeze creating an absolutely perfect evening for rooftop cornhole and relaxing on lounge chairs, I got to experience exactly what I'd hoped for when I moved to New York. The scene was drastically different than the Virginia Beach boardwalk or house parties in college. Instead, I was surrounded by brave, exciting individuals with the same aspirations, fears, and determination I feel in moving to the most intimidating city in the U.S. of A. These people are really going for it. Be it fashion design, finance, I-O psychology (yes, I found another psychology major among the crowd!), opera, or musical theatre, each of them took a leap of faith to pursue their dreams. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of inspiring and driven people in Virginia Beach, but nothing can compare to the energy felt in the midst of young New York hopefuls. With the lights of Manhattan as our backdrop, I couldn't help but feel proud and honored to be among such excellence.

After a stressful day at work yesterday, Brittany and I met my friend Meg out in the East Village. I felt quite posh wearing my fourth roommate's heels (Elle's a fashion design major and we wear the same size shoes! Score!) and strolling next to Brit, who always looks like she just stepped out of a magazine. We began the evening at "The Thirsty Scholar" for Happy Hour. Meg and I reminisced about the strength it took to survive dog sledding, which is how we met last January, and discussed the journey of finding your life's passion. She, Brittany, and I are all trying to figure out what will make us happiest in the long run. Is it singing? Marriage? Law school? A simple 9 to 5? Obviously those things don't define our happiness, but we can't have it all and decisions are necessary. We weighed pros and cons of our different options, as well as reflected on how we ended up where we are right now. I love conversations that challenge me to hone in my desires...it's easy for me to get wishy-washy and not accomplish anything because I lack direction.

Meg, me, and Brit at Karaoke
We followed up Happy Hour with flip cup at a fun bar that my brother took me to last October. Why does flip cup keep finding its way into my life? Am I not a grown up? I guess that's the lesson: no one every completely grows up. The night culminated at "Karaoke Cave," where Meg and I belted out "Part of Your World" from The Little Mermaid. Pretty sure all the guys in there hated us since every single girl stopped her conversation to sing along. Such a good time.

Today, Brit and I are going to explore a bit, perhaps find cheap tickets to a Broadway show, and take it easy. We're getting up early tomorrow to kayak the Hudson River! I can't wait! 

No comments:

Post a Comment