Pages

Saturday, December 24, 2011

On Dasher, On Dancer...

Santa should be landing on the roof any minute. I hope he eats all of the leftover cookies my mom made for Christmas Eve dinner tonight...Lord knows I don't need that temptation lying around.

Remember how I ended my last post by saying that my pillow was a little too inviting? I wasn't lying. I slept until noon today! That can't be healthy. Perhaps it's the fact that I haven't slept soundly since moving into my new New York apartment, then my first night in Virginia Beach was spent cuddling with Stephanie (not complaining- I love sleepovers). Whatever the reason, I rolled out of bed long after a responsible adult ever should and immediately headed into the Christmas Eve madness, scrambling to finish my gift list. Between my late arousal and procrastination-induced shopping excursion, I guess being a responsible adult was just not the theme of today.

My family went to Lindsay's family's house for dinner, where I got to see an old acquaintance from high school. Her family happens to be really close to Lindsay's, so they celebrate Christmas Eve together every year. I really enjoyed catching up and relating to the general struggles of most 23-year-olds. I'm glad I'm not the only one who still has no idea what she's doing with her life.

I guess Rudolph had the night off in this picture...
Lindsay's family also has the tradition of playing a game after holiday dinners, usually orchestrated by her grandfather. This year's was a team crossword puzzle challenge. In the end, our two teams of seven both got all of the answers correct, although the other team will argue that they technically won. You see, there was no clue for "20 down"; it was somehow forgotten. Thus, we both guessed the answer. All we knew was that it was a three letter word ending with "Y," so my team wrote "joy." That was a solid guess for an easy Christmas crossword, if you ask me. Our opponents came up with "ivy." Really? Ivy? Guess who was right...ivy. As impressive as that "brilliant" guess was, Lindsay's grandfather still resorted to the tiebreaker: Name all of Santa's reindeer in order that he calls them. I thought this was the easiest tiebreaker in the world, but apparently my knowledge of Santa's reindeer is not shared by the general population. I quickly spouted out Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Donner, Blitzen, and Rudolph. Everyone looked at me like I'd just named every historic mayor of Rome. I don't know about you people, but I find it terribly inconsiderate that most people can't name the nine reindeer that we expect to fly through blizzards to bring us presents every year.

Speaking of presents, I still have to wrap mine in the morning. Nothing like waiting til the last minute. I'm also doing a "Santa Shuffle" in the morning, my mom's made-up holiday run. "It's better than a Turkey Trot because there's no fee, no crowds, and you get to pick your own course!" she said. There better be a medal.

No comments:

Post a Comment