Pages

Monday, December 5, 2011

Passing on the Crown

Tess is sitting here on the couch to my left, making fun of me because I've been staring at this stupid screen for a solid 45 minutes and have only written three words (which I just chose to erase in order to write this...). There are a few distractions: 1. The giant bag of assorted M&M's that won't stop staring at me (courtesy of a house guest), 2....

Please excuse the interruption. As I was typing, our building CAUGHT ON FIRE. Elle ushered us over to the window in time to see firefighters from five different fire engines rush into the building. The subtle smell of smoke didn't alarm us until Kevin left to go grab dinner and turned around to inform us that everyone was running down the stairs. We grabbed our jackets, boots, and the M&Ms (priorities, people) and sped down all 21 floors. I'm sure I looked really attractive in my oversized sweatpants, glasses, and hair in a messy bun, but that didn't stop Tess, Elle, her mother, and me from ranking the firemen on a hot or not system (no pun intended). Turns out an oven on the 6th floor caught on fire while running the "self-clean" tool. More like self-combust. The smoke was quite heavy in our hallway, but apparently things didn't get too out of hand considering we were only downstairs for about 15 minutes.

My bro all dressed up for the pageant!
Anyyyways, as I was saying, I've been quite distracted while writing this blog. I'm buckled down in my room now, though, so we should be good to go. My schedule this weekend was jam-packed, making the days fly by. Stephanie picked me up from the bus station in Virginia Beach Thursday night and the busyness started Friday morning. I ran errands all day in my dad's giant 8-seater SUV (felt so powerful), ending up at my pageant director's house for dinner. The next morning, I had to get up early for a day of pageant festivities. Since I was the "outgoing queen," I was responsible for introducing the girls competing this year to the judges at the beginning of their interviews. Interviews were from 9-11a.m. and rehearsal followed from 11-3p.m., leaving me three hours to go home, get ready, and somehow put presents together for my directors/teen/pre-teen "sisters" before booking it back to the venue by 6:15p.m. The show started at 7 o'clock. I sang the national anthem, asked the girls their onstage questions, sang "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" as a duet with my pre-teen while our teen danced, performed "Nessun Dorma," gave my farewell speech, and crowned Courtney Meade- one of the amazing girls I competed with at Miss VA in June- Miss Greater Hampton Roads 2012. I was exhausted by the end of the night, but glad to have spent one last busy day in the Miss Virginia world. The organization was such a big part of my life for three years, so saying goodbye was a little hard. Below is my farewell speech!

Crowning Courtney
Sunday, yesterday, was really relaxing. I spent the afternoon with my mom and had dinner with my dad, Jean, and Drew. The overnight bus dropped me off in New York at 6a.m. this morning. Life in New York feels a bit like a dream after spending time in my home environment. This week is special, though, because Tess is staying with me until I leave for Maryland on Friday (Army vs. Navy football game!). I've missed having a close friend next to me every night since Brittany's departure! It's comforting to be around someone who knows me incredibly well while I'm dealing with the stress of New York. At least I have a lot of work (moolah!) this week. Speaking of, I have to get up at 7:30a.m. tomorrow for an event, so I need to hit the sack. Goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment