Pages

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Flip Cup

Why are my bosses cuter than I am? My direct boss is Lynn, President of the company. The CEO, Debora, flew in from Texas today. They are both 30+ years older than me, yet have the sickest bodies ever. Debora was getting ready for a night out on the town when the day was coming to a close and I only WISH I had legs like hers. Motivation to wake up for the gym in the morning. Ew. But on that note, I've reallyyyy got to get the post Miss VA weight gain under control or else I won't be able to fit into my jeans come fall. That gives me, what, four weeks to lose 10 pounds? Totally doable. 'Cause let's be honest...it's less about how I look and more about the fact that I can't afford new jeans. Inspiration at its finest.

Aside from envying my bosses' hot bods, work has been super busy this week. One minute I'm managing the website or developing social networking, the next I'm running credit cards and filing invoices, and the next I'm running to STAPLES to make labels. Today I even made a protein shake and did the dishes in Lynn's kitchen. Never a dull moment! Wait, that's not true. It can be a tad dull peeling labels when we're in a crunch and I'm needed as extra hands for manual labor...but even then I have to answer the phones and take random breaks to write follow-up emails/help Lynn out on the computer. I never get tired of feeling like a computer genius when in reality, I'm about as dumb as they come in the geek department (at least in the computer sense...). But for those seven hours a day, I'm the smartest in the room! Go me!

Since I haven't seen my brother the whole time I've lived here (over a week now!), I met him and Lindsay after work at a dive bar near me in Brooklyn. They go there every Thursday with their kickball team (awesome) and play flip cup, unbeknownst to me. I expected to go and relax at the bar, drink water...maybe wine if I was feeling feisty, and have catch-up convo. Instead, I walked into what looked like a college party with people in matching clothes, drinking games, and lots of chanting. Not to mention everyone was pretty gross (me included) since it was raining outside. Even though I don't like beer, nor did I get very involved, I had a blast. I did play a few rounds of flip cup...which I HATE, by the way, because I get really stressed that I'm letting down my team if I can't get the stupid cup to flip upside down like it's supposed to. No wonder I didn't go to very many parties at CNU. Even so, I managed to keep up with my team and not embarrass myself too much...though a few people corrected my technique. SORRY I'm not the best at flipping a plastic cup onto a picnic table. Not judging people that are great at it...maybe I'm jealous. But still, if I'm not good by age 23 and a college graduate, I never will be. Let it be noted, however, that I was better than some of those people who play every Thursday night. Pretty proud about that :-P

Before heading home at 9 o'clock with Jim and Linds (work night!), we did get to chat for a bit. My older brother is such a gem. He really believes in me and wants to see my dreams come true. He gave me so much advice in terms of setting goals and not losing sight of singing. I know so many people, as does he, who move to New York in pursuit of performing, yet they get caught up in simply paying rent and becoming comfortable. Jim wants to make sure that I make the time to actually go to auditions, take classes, and make this dream come to life. I'm so grateful to have him around to kickstart me when basic survival sounds more appealing than focusing on my long-term goal of singing for a living.

As much as he loves me, though, I'm still his little sister who embarrasses the crap out of him. We were riding the train home from the bar and I lost my balance (what else is new), so I grabbed onto the nearest thing. It happened to be a middle-aged woman's shirt...more specifically, her bra strap. Why me??? It even snapped when I let go, which led Jim to die a little inside from humiliation. Thank goodness the lady was so cool about it! But Jimbo was mortified, obviously. Whatever- he's obligated to still love me. At least Lindsay laughed it off with me since the train was disgustingly crowded and everybody saw it happen (of course). What a good soon to be sister-in-law!

As successful as I've been in my new job and all around life this first week, I'm SO ready for the week to be over! Saturday I'll be traveling to Boston for a close friend's wedding! Should be a blast.

P.S.- I went grocery shopping for the second time and they had Velveeta Shells & Cheese in stock! You better believe I grabbed the large majority of those bad boys. I know they're in high demand and I refuse to be left high and dry.
 
Definitely will help me with fitting into my jeans, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment