Pages

Sunday, August 28, 2011

Hurricane Irene

Well, this has been an interesting weekend. After the earthquake earlier in the week, we were expecting an "end of the world" type storm from this Category 3 hurricane...ahem, tropical storm. As most people know by now, that wasn't exactly the case. I'm devastated for the lives lost in NC, VA, and a few other states, but NY didn't get an ounce of that kind of intensity. I'm sure all of the "I'm so hard core 'cause I'm a New Yorker" people who wiped clean every grocery store with their tails between their legs will be ranting about this false alarm for years to come. But you know what? I say better safe than sorry. And it gave everyone a reason to stay home and relax...something rare in the schedules of city slickers. Yesterday, my roommates and I ate our faces off: pasta, chips and salsa, and Nestle Toll House cookies. We also went to the gym downstairs (not sure how much that balanced out all of the carbs we ate...), watched two movies, and revisited every hilarious YouTube video in history. It may not have been the typical NYC weekend, but I personally still had a good time :)

Me, Mallory, Claire, and Brittany at "Karaoke One."
Brittany, Kevin, and I did manage to get out Friday night before the city shut down the following day. Claire, Miss New York 2010, visited from Georgetown and slept over Thursday night, so we went out with her and a few other New York pageant ladies in Union Square on Friday. After a few awesome karaoke performances (the stand out being Mallory, 1st runner up to Miss NY, rapping "Baby's Got Back" flawlessly) and pageant stories from the hilarious Leigh-Taylor, Miss New York 2008, Brit and I met up with my friend Mike. I guess he's my brother's friend, technically, but we've hung out enough that I'm confident in claiming him now. Anyways, he knew someone having a birthday bar crawl in Brooklyn, so the three of us taxied on over and hung out there for a bit. There were no big shenanigans of the night (or as Brit says "Shannanigans"), but that was planned so that I could get a good night's sleep and spend the next day with my family. Of course that was a wash. All Broadway shows were cancelled and the city shut down completely, so my Dad, Jean, and Drew drove home before I even got to see them :( That would've been an amazing weekend.

Today, we're going to explore the "ruins," also known as large puddles, by walking over the Brooklyn Bridge. I wonder if the MTA is working again...probably not. But Starbucks BETTER be open. I can't put into words my disgust when they were closed yesterday morning. Subway and Five Guys were open, but the store that provides the medicine of living was not?? It was just wrong. I need my soy chai. I know, I know, I could feed 20 starving children in Africa with the money I pay for Starbucks every month, but it's become like my water. A source of life, if you will.

I hope everyone reading this in Virginia is safe and enjoying what I hear to be a beautiful Sunday down there. I have to admit, seeing the video of streakers in Virginia Beach during the newscast about the necessity of staying indoors during the storm made me laugh out loud. Gotta love my hometown crazies :-P

No comments:

Post a Comment