Pages

Friday, August 19, 2011

Miss VA Interview Snipits

I received the DVD of my Miss Virginia private interview in the mail the other week, so tonight I decided to re-watch it in hopes of learning how to improve my public speaking skills. While watching, I realized it could be fun to expand on a couple of topics that were brought up in that interview. So, here are a few videos of specific questions within that 10 minute interview with additional thoughts underneath (sorry the quality is so poor...being the computer genius I am, I videotaped the DVD with my camera...). I didn't necessarily choose the ones I answered the best because many of those were rather political and boring. Instead, I chose the ones that I found most interesting/silly and pageant stereotypical/personal (in respective order below).

1. Why are teenagers afraid to stand out?
Birds of a feather flock together. It's the way we are made. You can't alter instinct, but you can decide to step outside your comfort zone. We have to make the effort to open ourselves to people we aren't naturally drawn to or else we're missing out on life lessons and possible friendships. Even though the commonalities between every single person in this world are overwhelming and even comforting, you can't ignore basic differences. I think it's silly to say things like "I don't see color" or "I'm not prejudice at all." Everyone sees color (EVEN the color blind) and everyone is prejudice, which means you have an initial reaction to someone based on their physical appearance. What makes us not racist or sexist is taking conscious control of that initial prejudice.

To get a little technical for a moment, the amygdala is part of your brain that conditions your impulses based on prior experiences. For example, if you are conditioned to think a tall, muscular African-American male approaching you is a scary encounter (based on T.V., stories, etc.), your amygdala will immediately trigger an emotional response in accordance with what you've been exposed to. In many senses, the amygdala is useful in keeping us from danger or having recurring negative interactions. What we have to be careful of, however, is deciphering if our amygdala has been conditioned properly. Is it appropriate to avoid a large group of similar-looking people based on one bad interaction or a second-hand story? The first step in overcoming prejudice is recognizing that having preconceived notions is natural. From there, we can make suitable decisions based on the reality of distinct situations.

So, as the Miss Virginia judge asked, why are teenagers afraid to stand out? Because they are comfortable in their little flocks. If a person looks drastically different from his or her naturally chosen click (most often based on race and/or socio-economic status), he/she is more likely to endure scrutiny or encounter negative interactions in a less-explored social group. Neither of those things sound particularly appealing, especially to a developing adolescent. Oh, and if you're wondering where the whole amygdala discussion came from, that's one of the few lessons I retained from my Psychology major days.

2. Is Sarah Palin going to be our next President?
No. I just decided this needs no further explanation.

3. Will you be able to handle the job of Miss Virginia that requires extended periods of time away from family and friends?
Much of what I'd like to extend on with this video has already been touched on in my blog, so I'll make it quick. In terms of Miss Virginia, holding a position that entails a lot of alone time requires a woman who is comfortable with her own thoughts. In the grand scheme of things, we all have trials and tribulations that either make us or break us. The more you let those ordeals teach you, shape you, and prepare you, the more peace you find within yourself. I really believe that's why many elders are wise and calm- they've grown into a deep peace through lessons learned from each trial along the way. The older we get, the more peace we can attain due to further exposure to difficulties. There are two kinds of people who've "been through a lot": the ones who are a little batty and seem out of control, and the ones who have an aura of understanding and serenity. I truly believe that we must decide to make peace with ourselves through every painful experience in order to become a better version of ourselves day by day, year by year, and decade by decade. If we don't, we'll build up a never-ending list of failures and heartbreak that will lead to a life of pills and self-deprecation.

I hope some of these thoughts were relatable and useful in everyone's similar journeys through life :) And I hope the Sarah Palin question brought a smile to your face...WHY does every pageant interview seem to demand an answer to that question?? Honestly, I don't think Sarah Palin nor Hilary Clinton will be our first female president. Get over it.

1 comment:

  1. "lead to a life of pills and self-deprecation" bahahahah i love this....you are awesome
    ----Lindsay Morris!!!

    ReplyDelete