Pages

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Day One

I'm currently sitting in my bed listening to the busy street outside my giant window on the 21st floor. I'm already in love with New York. When I look outside, I see skyscrapers, tons of people walking around, and taxis everywhere. The energy is simply incredible. So is my apartment! The room I'm sharing with Brittany is gorgeous with it's light hardwood floors and huge window that lets in so much sun that turning on a light would seem ridiculous during the daytime. We can easily fit two queen beds in here, along with a keyboard, desk, and eventually a shelf structure, which I'm taking from my best friend so that Brit and I have somewhere to put our clothes. I mean, we have a pretty big closet, but we're talking about two girls who love fashion and dressing up sharing one room. We need some major storage space. [Picture: my life packed in two suitcases before leaving for the bus station in Va Beach]

When I first arrived yesterday, my roommate Kevin let me in at 6am, bless his heart, and showed me my room. Minutes later, after making my bed with sheets that don't fit quite right, I was passed out. I do NOT do well sleeping upright on an overnight bus. I thought a glass of wine and some Tylenol PM would do the trick, but not so much. When I woke up, I had about 10 missed calls/texts from everyone I had said I'd text as soon as I arrived. Woops. After letting my parents/friends know I was alive, I started unpacking. Rearranging the room so that Brittany can fit her bed in here when she arrives next week was really easy. Figuring out where to put all my junk was not. I think I brought too much...but with the windowsill as an extra shelf, I managed to find a home for everything and still leave half of every space for Brit. Success!

Around noon, I met up with Tess (best friend since 3rd grade) for lunch. Turns out we are a 10 minute walk from one another! How perfect. I didn't even know when I found the place that it was so close to her. We grabbed some super cheap and delicious Thai food- my fav- and then went grocery shopping! No Farm Fresh or Harris Teeter around these parts. Not to fear, though, because I still got my essentials: Honey Bunches of Oats, peanut butter, and canned tuna. Biggest let down was that they were all out of Velveeta Shells & Cheese. I WILL fight someone if they plan on buying all of my Velveeta mac before I can get to it each week.

While walking around the neighborhood, I learned a couple of things: 1.) This place will be great for my self-esteem. A group of girls walked past me today and one said "Wow, you have pretty eyes"...um, thanks! Another guy said "You're beautiful" as I was strolling along with my hair in a greasy pony tail and un-showered from the whole bus ride. Last time I visited, someone on the train asked if I was a model. I have no idea why the compliments seem to flow around here, but I'll take it. 2.) There are ice cream trucks EVERYWHERE. They post up and tempt you with soft serve (choc/vanilla twist, please!) and milkshakes as if it'd be a good thing for everyone in New York to be obese. That's a really terrible idea simply because I've noticed there is already zero space on the trains. Even so, I treated myself to a chocolate shake as a welcome present. Won't be doing that again for a long time, though...it pretty much cost me my entire daily food budget. 3.) I'm no longer one of the tall girls. They're everywhere. I'm only 5'7'' and I used to feel giant in VA. Hellooooo NY models. They may weight half as much as I do, but at least I can wear heels around here without feeling like I'm on stilts.

Later in the evening, Tess and I went to an outdoor movie in Williamsburg- the super young, hipster area of Brooklyn. I had SO much fun! First of all, the movie was Jurassic Park..probably one of the best movies of its time. Not to mention we were under the stars in a beautiful park with 5,000 other people our age. And the crowd was HILARIOUS. I found it hysterical that the field would erupt with cheers everytime a dinosaur ate someone or a new famous character came onscreen. The excitement was ridiculous, but amazing. Also amazing: a shooting star flew right over us!

I can tell already that this is one of the best places to live in the world. People who don't know it well may think it's stuffy or overcrowded, but when you find your little corner, it's beautiful. There's a giant park in my neighborhood where people are always playing frisbee or running, from my building I can see the Manhattan Bridge crossing the East River that leads into the most famous, inspirational skyline in existence, and each street has character and something new to try. So now I'm off to go on a run (okay, a walk/run...I'm super out of shape) and explore a little more before another fun night with Tess! [Picture: the view from my room]

2 comments:

  1. Okay - so you mentioned a job? Where are you working? I love this blog and want to keep up with what's happening with you!!! Love ya, darlin'!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it amazing how you imagine, and worry, and fret, and wonder how things are going to be once you officially LIVE there?...and then suddenly, you DO live there! And you're still you, but with a sudden sense of responsibility to be the best you possible and take advantage of everything amazing the city has to offer.

    I loved living in NYC. It was hard for sure. Nothing seems to be convenient, except cold water bottles for a dollar at the little kiosks on the sidewalks. But, you get the hang of it.

    You always bring a sweater, almost always bring an umbrella, and a pair of walking shoes. You always make time to refill your metrocard while it's still daylight so that you don't end up having to pull out your credit cards/cash at the machine at night. You always have extra granola bars with you bc you NEVER know when you're going to actually have to be out HOURS longer than you planned. Always look for the Credit Card stickers on the outside of restaurants and if you don't see them, ASK the Host right away. (How many times have we finished our meal and the waiter snootily refuses our card - we only take cash, there's an ATM outside.) Beware of dusty boxed food in bodegas, we found mealyworm friends inside the cat food. When you get to auditioning, know that you can usually book practice rooms and warm up rooms in the building, and invest in a small rolling bag (one you can easily lift up stairs and over the subway turnstiles). It'll SAVE your back from carrying a heavy bag and you can fit all your shoes, makeup, extra clothes, etc. Get to any FREE event EARLY. Use your old student ID like it's going out of style. And get the iTransNYC app on your phone if you can. It has real time subway schedules so you can see if you need to hoof it to catch the last train for the next 20 minutes.

    I guess that's about it off the top of my head. Keep your wits about you (especially when you're having fun), trust your gut about suspicious looking people, and make sure someone always knows where you are and when you're expected back. Oh, and make sure you have SOMEONE'S phone number memorized in case your phone gets lost or stolen.

    Sure am excited for you! BTW, I'm heading up for a visit in a couple of weeks. Maybe we can meet up somewhere! You're great and you're DOING IT!
    Love,
    Christina Aranda :o)

    ReplyDelete