Pages

Saturday, October 15, 2011

Always Making a Change

I ran into the guy from the elevator again. On the elevator, of course (see blog called "Quotes" for your reminder). I find the coincidental elevator rides quite intriguing since I don't think I've seen anyone else who lives in this building more than once. When the doors opened on his floor and he was standing there, I just laughed and said, "Chase, right?" Sadly, he didn't remember my name. I guess he doesn't think our meetings are as strange as I do...but at least he remembered who I was! This time he had his dog with him, which provided us with a conversation topic for the three second ride to the lobby. Too bad he didn't look like he was going out last night or else I would've invited him to join me in the Meatpacking District (what an awful name for a district). He probably has a baby to take care of or something, knowing my luck.

As I patted myself on the back for bumping into Chase while wearing makeup and presentable clothing rather than my usual yoga pants and a ponytail, I hustled to the train since I was running late, per usual. Once I finally got through the turnstile after swiping my uncooperative card three times, I made sure to get on the correct train to Jim and Lindsay's so I wouldn't end up in Manhattan like last time. They had friends in town, like they do every weekend, so we hung out and drank cheap wine until the time came to go to Tommy's birthday party. Tommy is the hilarious friend of theirs that I met last weekend...fantastically flamboyant and very mindful of his "skinny pop" status (skinny popular). I love him. Brittany met all of us out, but true to our style, we left around midnight in order to get a good night's sleep. Grandma's of New York, watch out. Speaking of grandmas and New York, my grandmother from San Diego visited this week. But I'll save our reunion for my next blog...she hasn't emailed me the pictures to accompany the stories yet!

Today was another day at the restaurant. I enjoy serving tables, but this place is so slow and small that I'm not even able to interact with coworkers when I get bored because there are none. Most of the time, it's just the owner and me. For that reason- plus a few others, I don't think this will be a permanent gig. Being overly picky about where I work is not usually in my character, but I'm really determined to find a job where I can meet new people. Much of my discontentment in New York revolves around the lack of a friend circle. I have so many- too many, I sometimes feel- individual friends, but none who are also friends with each other. I love all of them, but the energy it takes to spend time with just one person kind of puts a damper on the idea, for me. Sometimes I'd prefer to just chill in a group where none of the attention is on me rather than talk about life, you know? Anyways, at least I am making a little bit of money for the time being...though not much. And Thursday a customer asked me if I'm an aspiring actress, which made me smile. :) People are so personable supportive when you talk to them like human beings rather than in robot-waitress mode.

Adam and me at Geraldine's wedding
Tonight I'm heading to Hell's Kitchen for my friend Adam's birthday dinner. I'll order water since it's free, but at least I'll get to say hello! I met him two months ago at my friend Geraldine's wedding in Boston. He lives in the city and I haven't seen him since, so I figured I should stop by and give him a birthday hug. While I'm out that way, I'm going to drop my resume off at a few places I might like better than my current situation. Change doesn't happen unless you make it!

No comments:

Post a Comment