Pages

Monday, October 3, 2011

Retired Pearls Retreat

Gosh Mark Sanchez is such a hottie. Just wanted to put that out there (currently watching him play....and lose).

I'd be lying if I said it is easy to leave Virginia tonight. Spending time with my friends and family reminded me of how normal and satisfying life can be. Of course if I still lived in Virginia, I wouldn't feel like I was growing or living my life to the fullest, but spending a few days here made it look really appealing. I'm determined to stick out New York for at least a year- and who knows, I may eventually fit in. Considering how much I love the beach, driving, solitude, nature, and laid back bars/restaurants, however, I may find that I'm happier in suburbia. Don't get me wrong, I haven't given up on the New York lifestyle. Instead, I'm trying to be realistic. Perseverance is the key to surviving in the City- and persevere, I will. That doesn't mean that I won't eventually go to grad school or pursue performing elsewhere. Soaking in my surroundings this weekend opened me up to mentally exploring what those options might be without feeling like I'm betraying the New York dream. Discouragement in my first two months doesn't mean that I'm giving up, which is something I have to tell myself whenever I feel guilty for not absolutely loving it up there. Since I know that I'm going to be strong and push through the difficulties and stay for at least a year, then there's nothing wrong with simply thinking about possible alternatives for my future.

Natty, me and Anita
From the moment Nicole, Leslie, and Anita picked me up from my house in Virginia Beach, I felt a calm come over me. I can do, say, feel or ask anything with them and know full well that they'll love me the same. I guess it's a bit like a secure relationship when you don't ever feel worried that the person will leave you if you aren't perfect. They already know you're not and have proven their loyalty through time.

We were the first to arrive in Nags Head, followed by Danielle and Lena, then Joanna and Natty. We drank wine and watched Christina Aguilera's recent film, "Burlesque," which allowed ample opportunity for hilarious commentary about Cher's awkwardness and all of the bad acting involved. Leslie also reenacted the car ride home on night of Lena's wedding in July, nailing impressions of the Pearls in that car with our post-wedding buzzes. I seriously laughed so hard that my abs were on the verge of exploding. Pearls have incredibly distinct personalities- maybe just because we all know each other so well- making her impressions of everyone utterly side-splitting.

Me, Joanna, Lena, and Anita on the beach
The next day, we sat around the cozy cabin just relaxing and chatting. Lena and Danielle filled us in on married life, the four teachers amongst us graded papers and wrote lesson plans, and we took advantage of having no structure to our day. Eventually we ended up on the beach singing old Pearls songs- sounding pretty awful since so many vocal parts were missing- without a care in the world as to who was watching/listening. A group of boys in their bathing suits were probably judging us in our jeans and sweaters, but we were comfy and I bet they had goosebumps. Stop trying to show off your bods, guys. Put on a sweatshirt.

After chowing down on Joanna's baked ziti for dinner, half of us went out while the other girls stayed in for movies. I had no intentions of speaking to anyone at Kelly's Tavern other than my girlfriends, so I didn't change out of my Frankenrock Sweatshirt from Busch Gardens and jeans. I may have run a brush through my hair, but I definitely didn't bother with make-up. Naturally, guys found this attractive...? Maybe just because it's North Carolina. Still, that sweatshirt was a hit. Two former college basket ball players chatted me up while I kept an eye on Danielle and Lena warding off men with their wedding rings (to no prevail). Oh, and the bouncer thought Nicole was in high school...what a motley crew we were.

The girls dropped me off back in Virginia Beach this morning, where I had to crawl through our doggie door because I'd been locked out (it's a skill). Stephanie picked me up a few hours later to go see "What's Your Number" in theatres. Loved it. From there, I stopped by my little brother's 8th birthday party, which I guess we can consider Jean's (my stepmom), as well, since she shares her birthday with Drew. How cute is that? Unfortunately, it means she has to run around all day on her own birthday, but I think Drew's excitement about her homemade Angry Birds cake made up for it. :) I drove my dad's car back to my mom's house...I  haven't driven in two months and didn't hit anything- success!....ate dinner, packed my bags, and headed back to my dad's so he can take me to the bus station. So here I am watching gorgeous Mark Sanchez play football not particularly well until it's time to leave for the bus.

....13 hours later: I was too tired to finish the post before leaving last night. What a miserable trip home. I'm finally back on my couch, but the six hour bus ride took ten hours because one of the bus tires blew out around 3:30am. We didn't start moving again until after 6:30am. TEN HOURS. Then, to add a cherry on top, the subway ride home took an hour and a half. Someone jumped in front of a train at 42nd St. (incredibly sad), so all the trains were rerouted. I didn't think I was ever going to make it. From the time that I left my dad's house til the time I walked in my door, a full 12 hours had passed. Not thrilled about it.

Today I'm going to apply at more restaurants! Fingers crossed I'll have a new job by the end of the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment