Pages

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

The Restaurant Business

Vodka on the rocks. That's one way to start a Tuesday. I was greeted at work this morning by three men in suits who were all drunk at 11 a.m. My fellow server told me they started with vodka on the rocks around 9 o'clock, followed by shots and champagne. I don't know how business works here in the City, but something tells me those guys weren't legitimate businessmen. That or they had one heck of a meeting to sit through.

My third day in the restaurant went well. I feel comfortable since I served for a year in Virginia Beach, so I'm simply adjusting to a new menu and computer system. The traditional Sicilian ambiance is far more upscale than Cheeseburger in Paradise (CIP), but surprisingly more relaxed. I was thrilled to find that I don't have to sweep floors or have side work checked off at the end of a shift. Instead, expectations are established to keep everything in order, so everyone rises to the occasion. Even the tips are split between the two servers on the floor rather than each server getting tips directly from the specific tables they served that day/night. This format creates an atmosphere of teamwork because every single table's experience is important to you, whether they're technically "yours" or not. A large chain like CIP could not use this system because five to twelve servers work at one time, but I'm definitely discovering the perks of working at a smaller restaurant. And one that has a pricier menu. One bill here equals two or more at a burger joint in Virginia, which equals twice the tips. Hurray for money!

Something I love about the restaurant business is the diverse staff. People from all different backgrounds work in the industry. Some have no education; some have their masters. Some have no money; some come from wealth. The drastic range of employees has to do with the fact that many restaurant jobs are flexible. You can work through school, work around auditions (heyyy!), work day and night to pay rent, or work once in a while for play money. You can be a host, server, bartender, chef, line cook, manager, or owner. Every single one of these positions depend on one another to create a successful dining experience for guests. To have a functional restaurant, ego can't get in the way of working together. The owners and managers are the bosses, of course, but aside from that, everyone is equal. The server doesn't get tables unless the host does her job. The chef has no food to cook unless the server takes the order, and the server gets no food for their tables unless the cook prepares it. Sounds simple enough, but when you're actually in the heat of a lunch rush, the constant reliance on other people teaches a lot of patience and understanding. You also don't care in that moment if they're black, white, Latino, poor, rich, uneducated, intelligent, fat, or skinny. You just want them to do what's necessary in helping your duties run smoothly and recognize the importance of doing the same for them. Because of that interdependence, friendships form quite rapidly. I still talk to some of my girlfriends from Cheeseburger in Paradise! They became my go-to social circle during my transition year at home.
With some CIP ladies and the Channel 13 News anchor
After work today, Julie- the girl I've been shadowing- and I walked to a doughnut place next to the subway station. She knows I'm on a diet of sorts, but insisted that I try one of these gourmet doughnuts (the "D" word, as my grandma calls them). I hadn't eaten anything all day and it was almost 5 p.m., so I accepted her invitation. A 19-year-old fashion student, she's working because her parents insisted she get a job. I totally respect that, as I was in her exact position when I worked as a Front Desk Assistant and R.A. my sophomore year of college. She's noticeably mature for her age, probably accentuated by her 5'10'' model frame with a pile of tight blonde curls adding another two or three inches on top of her head, and easy to get to know. Since she's attending the Fashion Institute of Technology, I was surprised to find that she is more interested in becoming a CFO than a personal shopper.

When I was walking down the steps into the subway, doughnut- her treat- in hand, I realized that this is why I switched jobs. Interacting with new people is a breath of fresh air and reminds me day after day that most people in this world are nice, warm, and relatable. I know for a fact that I will hate work sometimes- that's life, but at least I get to interact with coworkers and guests on a regular basis. Sitting in my old boss's home office on the upper east side left me with no social satisfaction other than my occasional visit to the STAPLES boy. Who has a girlfriend, FYI. I'm just not cut out for being secluded from the rest of the world for 6-8 hours of my day.

Appropriately, Brittany just landed a hosting job today at a Thai restaurant in Brooklyn. We have to keep this roof over our heads somehow. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment