Pages

Saturday, October 22, 2011

Teach for America Benefit

At times, a new dress is all it takes to lift your spirits. Maybe not if you're male, but you get the gist. Last week, my friend Mike bought me a ticket to the Teach for America Fall Fling in lower Manhattan. The event was Thursday, and I had nothing to wear. Most of my cocktail dresses are too fancy (from pageant world) or too casual (from Virginia Beach world). Anything possible to makeshift into the appropriate attire was a little too tight now...darn it New York stress eating! Don't get me wrong, I'm certainly not overweight, but a tight black miniskirt just won't cut it these days. I spent the first half of the week telling myself that it would be okay to show up in something I didn't feel great in, but as the evening approached, I knew I'd have far more fun if I felt confident...especially since I wouldn't really know anyone there. Mike was helping to host the event so he would have no time to entertain me, and it's not like I'm tied into the young professionals world where I'd bump into someone familiar. Knowing I'd be fending for myself was intimidating in its own right; no need to add fuel to the fire by feeling insecure about my outfit.

The issue with buying a new dress is that you have to, well, buy it. With money. I don't have much of that stuff. This is where my new favorite person of New York came into play: my runner at work, Thomas. Thomas is the one who made these few weeks at the Sicilian restaurant more enjoyable. He always encouraged me and pointed me in the right direction, all the while cracking me up with his strong Spanish accent (he moved here from Mexico ten years ago) and only halfway understandable jokes. I've never met such a hard worker- he works two jobs and puts in 80-90 hours a week! I told him about the Teach for America benefit and my dilemma with having nothing to wear, so he whipped out two discount cards to Express and said, "Go buy yourself a dress and be beautiful!" I wish I could somehow type with a Spanish accent. Those words sounded even more adorable. He pointed me to the nearest store after work, where I bought a brand new dress for 60% off! He's my little New York angel. I'll have to email my grandma about him so she can include him in her book "Angels of New York," a compilation of stories involving all of the people who helped her during her visit. She joked that the trick to finding them was to look like a helpless little old lady...hilarious. Too bad she's not actually writing it. I think it'd be an awesome book. There are so many unassuming gems amidst the bustling crowds.

Heading out! Brit had her iPhone ready for a photo op...
Feeling great in my new dress and Brit's velvet blazer, I headed to the benefit. As I was registering and receiving my open bar bracelet (score!), I heard a familiar voice- Justin! My brother's close friend who used to live with Jim and Jacob (still lives with Jacob, actually) had walked in right before me. Mike and him grew up together in San Diego, so I guess it made sense that he was there. He was remarkably sweet, introducing me to all of his friends and colleagues and even lending me his arm (which came in handy when I slipped while walking into the main room...totally normal). I've spent a lot of time with Justin before, but he was more outgoing and gentlemanly than I've ever seen him. His friends were also great to hang out with and most of them knew or had heard of my brother, which made for easy conversation. The venue was gorgeous and the environment was just what I needed: a lot of hot, successful guys in suits- my favorite- and girls who were really intelligent and welcoming. I wish I was the kind of girl who could approach a guy, because I wanted to chat with so many of them...but oh well, I didn't meet the love of my life. Someday I'll be that smooth, nonchalant woman who can seamlessly start conversation with a mysterious tall, dark and handsome bachelor. But for now, I'm still awkward Shannon.

Thursday's big night out was perfectly succeeded by a movie night in with Meg (from dog sledding) last night. I heard about exciting news in her love life, she listened to the exact opposite regarding my love life, and we watched "Jane Eyre." Red wine, girl talk, and chick flicks? We all know that's my favorite! I had such a relaxing time that we're having a repeat tonight. The best way to avoid spending money is to make plans for lots of movie nights. Or go on lots of first dates....but I prefer the former.

In other news, I quit my waitressing job. I understand that work won't always be pleasant, but I needed a younger, peppier environment. Back to the grind of finding a job. Just keep swimming, just keep swimming...
Dori, from finding Nemo, is my favorite cartoon character ever...a lot of my friends have even pointed out our similarities. I'm not sure what to make of that, but I subsequently named my fish from PSYC 401 Lab senior year "Dorian" in her honor (my fish was a dude). Dori's famous tune of "just keep swimming" somehow never leaves my head as I deal with the constant struggles in NYC. Go figure- a cartoon fish with short term memory is my source of inspiration...

No comments:

Post a Comment