Pages

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Singing!

The last time I sang for an audience was in June. JUNE! That was so long ago. I have not stepped foot on a stage since the Miss Virginia Pageant, and even that was opera. Pop is a completely different story. Tonight I'm singing two songs at "Don't Tell Mama," a popular piano bar in Hell's Kitchen. Yesterday, I applied there and at Stardust, two restaurants known for their singing waitstaff. The manager asked me to come back tonight to perform two songs at their open mic night- one current pop hit and one Broadway tune. Singing with a live pianist whom you've never worked with can be a tad disconcerting at times, so I've chosen two songs I know like the back of my hand: "Need You Now" by Lady Antebellum and "Stars and the Moon" from Songs for a New World.

Just knowing I get to use my voice tonight put me in a great mood all day. I energetically made copies of the sheet music, organized my repertoire book, worked hard at the gym, and practiced my song choices. My terrible nerves are beginning to kick in since I leave in about 45 minutes for the venue, though. I've been singing for audiences since I was seven, but I still get sweaty palms and my heart races as a performance approaches. Nightmares about getting a bad case of the hiccups right before a song or forgetting the words haunt me even though I've never had a terrible experience. Hopefully I'll continue my 16 year streak of non-traumatic presentations tonight.

Maybe my performance will lead to a job at Don't Tell Mama, maybe it won't, but I'm still so glad I waltzed in there yesterday without knowing how well known their piano bar is. Had I realized that it was such a distinguished spot, I might have been too intimidated. But look! Now I have an opportunity to sing! I think I caught the manager at a good time because originally they were only interested in hiring a new bartender. Even though I have no experience in that position, she gave it a good, long thought and said "I'd really like to hear you sing. Why don't you come in tomorrow." Immediately, I called Jim, as he was the one who originally told me to apply. He and Lindsay love the place and introduced it to Grandma and me when she visited earlier this month. Over the phone, Jim gave me directions to the nearest store that sold sheet music, where I picked up the piano scores I needed, and promised he'd be there tonight to support me! I'm so glad I'll have him and Brittany to smile at onstage. :)

Although I don't go on at Don't Tell Mama until after 10 p.m., I'm going to attempt to go to bed early enough that I won't be tired tomorrow morning. My former boss, Lynn, recommended me to her attorney since he needs extra help around the office once a week. How nice of her! Thus, tomorrow I'll be filing papers and make copies for some extra cash. Oh, the glitz and glamor of surviving in NYC.

No comments:

Post a Comment