Pages

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Grandma Comes to Town!

Crazy people are everywhere. New York City may be home to the best and brightest, but it's also home to the meanest and craziest. Brittany just called me to fill me in on a somewhat disturbing, completely insane experience she had on her way to Alphabet City. She saw a woman begging on the side of the road (they're everywhere) and walked past like normal. After all, you'd run out of money if you gave a dollar to all of the homeless people you saw here. For some reason, Brittany felt compelled to turn around and give the woman a $5 bill, as well as talk about life, God, and how she (the beggar) ended up where she is now. While they were chatting, another lady approached them and started yelling at Brittany for helping the beggar, claiming that all the money went towards was drugs and illegal activity. That would be the moment I walk away quickly. Instead, Brit started explaining that she didn't care if the money didn't go to good use; that the good deed was given in faith that the beggar would make the right choice and/or learn from Brittany's charitable heart. The other lady wouldn't listen and caused a giant scene that ended up with the police involved. Poor little Brittany just stood there with the beggar as the other lady was hauled away, wondering why she'd felt so compelled to turn around in her tracks. Perhaps she'll never know if there was some greater reason for the whole incident, but what I took from it was WOW there are a lot of crazies up here.

Last Friday, my grandma's friend had to deal with an NYC madman, as well. Johna, who is in her eighties, sat outside the New York Public Library while my grandmother went inside to look around. In broad daylight with hundreds of onlookers, a large man walked up to her and started screaming at her in a different language. Johna had no idea what he was saying or why he was yelling at her, so she just sat there until he walked off. I believe some of the onlookers came to her rescue, but I didn't catch that part of the story. I'm just reminded to keep a watchful eye for people who are out of their minds!

Jim, me, and Grandma at "Don't Tell Mama"
Last week, my grandma and Johna visited from San Diego for a few days to see Broadway shows and enjoy autumn in New York. One perk about living in New York is that people always visit. Sometimes I like to think it's really for me, but let's be honest- no one ever came to visit when I lived in Virginia Beach. Whatever the reason, I was thrilled to spend time with Grams. She's the healthiest, most vibrant, hilarious grandmother in the world. Her friend Johna is equally spectacular. The two of them met in their sorority- Pi Phi- during college and remain close friends. I love that! Jim and I met them at an awesome piano bar called "Don't Tell Mama" on Restaurant Row for dinner and drinks before their show on Thursday. Grandma kept us cracking up with stories about her uncooperative "phone for the elderly" and how she's just going to get iPhone instead. After all, she's a big Steve Jobs fan and can sign up for classes on how to use it! She already takes Mac classes. I'm almost embarrassed to admit it, but Grandma knows more about technology than I do.

The next morning, I met them again at the New York Public Library (hence the crazy man approaching Johna at that location) for an early lunch. I hadn't been there yet, so I was super excited to see the building where Carrie and Big were supposed to get married in Sex and the City the Movie. I really want to get a library card, too, but haven't had any success. I tried to sign up last week, but got overwhelmed....that's a whole different story. Anyways, the three of us walked around to the back where a gorgeous restaurant is attached that opens up into a small courtyard park. I ate the most delicious walnut encrusted turkey salad and chocolate sorbet. Oh, the splendor of going out to eat! Such a rare and joyous occasion, only to be topped by spending time with my grandmother who lives on the other side of the country. I was so sad to say goodbye, but at least I have Jim and Lindsay's wedding to look forward to with the whole family next April! Grandma, Johna, and I also jokingly toyed with planning a little girls vaca in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico early next year. Fingers crossed we can actually make that happen! Probably only in my dreams...

No comments:

Post a Comment