Pages

Sunday, October 9, 2011

Margs & Martinis

I officially have a new job! After two weeks of searching, a Sicilian restaurant hired me as their new waitress. I can't pronounce anything on the menu and I'm terrified to open a wine bottle, but I will practice every night (especially opening the wine bottle...excuse to have that healthy one glass of red wine in the evenings!). Hopefully this will allow me A) more time to audition, B) less time to eat, C) social interaction.

After shadowing a server all day Friday, I hopped on the C train near the restaurant around 9:15pm to meet Jim, Lindsay, and some of their college friends at an outdoor bar/restaurant in Hell's Kitchen. As I was sitting on the train daydreaming about who knows what, I glanced to my left and noticed a tall, pretty girl with short brown hair roll a suitcase into the car. Could it be? No. Wait..is it? Not possible. "Claire?" I asked in disbelief. Yep. Somehow Claire- yes, the same Claire from the NASDAQ events and who was Miss NY 2010- had plopped down in the same train as me. You have to understand- there are a bagillion different trains and different cars on those different trains and a thousand circumstances that make it super rare to see someone you know, especially a good friend, in the subway. Particularly one who lives in Washington, D.C. Like 12-year-old school girls reuniting on the first day of class after summer break, we squealed as I practically dove into her lap (the train started moving and I wasn't exactly prepared for the jolt). I knew she was in town because we had dinner plans the next night with a bunch of Miss America Organization girls, but seeing her was still a shock. Sadly, we only had one stop worth of love-festing before I reached my destination. Good thing we had the dinner to look forward to!

I arrived in Hell's Kitchen to find Jim and Linds sipping margaritas with Tommy, Cory (Jim's old roommates), and Cory's boyfriend, Jan (pronounced "yawn"...he's from Germany. Neat.). Cory's a girl, by the way. Not that it would matter if she was a he...jusssssst clarifying. Tommy is probably one of the funniest people I've ever met, so combine him with my brother and you get free entertainment for the entire evening. Sarcastic remark followed sarcastic remark (followed margarita followed margarita) until we decided to go to some girl's birthday party at another place nearby. I didn't know her, but I support any cause to celebrate! A heart to heart with my brother and two business cards from Tommy later, we headed home. Apparently I fell asleep on Jim's shoulder the entire train ride to Brooklyn while he played Jeopardy on his phone with Linds. How adorable. He even tucked me into bed on the couch after making sure I properly suited up in their snuggie. I wish that night had been videotaped to prove to my mom that we don't fight like cats and dogs anymore (...not often). She'd be so proud.

The next morning, yesterday, we got bagels and schmear (well, Linds had mango and peanut butter bread since she's on her bride-to-be diet) and curled up to watch a wholesome DVRed episode of Jersey Shore. Since I live in New York, I really need to take a trip to Staten Island to catch a glimpse of this culture firsthand. I think I have some best friends awaiting me in furry boots and bump-its. Later, the three of us walked around downtown to witness the protests in the financial district. There are some smelly people over there, let me tell you. To be honest, I don't even know what they're protesting since each cluster of hippies who missed the '60s had signs regarding completely different topics. I think they just thought it'd be fun to camp out for a few weeks. Hey, I get it. I love camping.

We walked back over the Brooklyn Bridge and into my neighborhood so that Jim and Linds could finally see my apartment. They loved it so much that they actually took tours of one bedrooms and studios in the building in case they ever decide to move closer to Manhattan. Jim made a good point- we'd totally be like the real life Friends. Jim (Ross), me (Monica), Lindsay (Rachel), and Brittany (Phoebe). We just need to find two more guys for the roles of Joey and Chandler. Any takers? I may need more roommates here soon!

Dessert!
Once they left, I passed out while watching "The Prince and Me." I love teeny bopper movies and I'm not ashamed to say it. Eventually I dragged myself off the couch to get ready for girls dinner with Claire, Brittany, Maria (Miss America's Outstanding Teen 2007/top 10 at Miss New York 2011), Mallory (1st runner up to Miss New York 2010 and 2011), and Kasey (top 10 at Miss New York 2011). We went to a really fun tapas restaurant in the Lower East Side called Stanton Social, where we ate the most delicious butternut squash/sweet potato ravioli, crab cake corn dogs, and 7 or 8 (yes..seven or eight) other dishes. Plus four desserts on the house. And plenty of grapfruit mint martinis. To say I was satisfied would be an understatement.
Claire, me, Brittany, Mallory, Kasey, and Maria
Brit and I called it an early night (midnight qualifies as early in New York) since we'd both been up late the night before. My bed has never been so welcoming. Today I'm just going to take it easy and wait for my new bosses to call with this week's schedule. Hopefully I'll start making some moola 'cause after that dinner last night, lord knows I need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment